Monday, July 7, 2014

WildThing.

This time, I say, I will let you go. Like the very last pages in my favorite childhood book, the one
with all the monsters. Wild Things, they’re called. You called me that once, too.  I will gnash my terrible teeth and roar my terrible roar and roll my terrible eyes, and you will get in your boat and wave goodbye.

That’s okay. I’ve got the whole world inside my body. My belly is the mountains that line the coast in California. My legs are the sections of I-35 freeway that try to run away to Austin or Dallas, but always stop in Waco to breathe. My hands are still wrapped around that mugger’s skinny elbow on the subway in Barcelona. I was so proud of myself that day. My lungs are the windowsill on the bar below my apartment where I suck down free cigarettes with a bouncer named Lenny. My lips are wrapped around endless ice cream cones in freezing London, sometimes kissing strangers in twin-sized beds.

The things I like best about myself are that I have my grandmother’s smile and I always survive.

I wish I could tell you that the girl ripping holes like mouse bites in the front of your t-shirt isn’t me. That the girl running hard on the burning asphalt under the summer moon isn’t me either. That the girl who makes sounds like a goose with broken vocal cords isn’t crying hard enough to illicit such a noise. That those scratch marks on your wrist when I wouldn’t let you go weren’t made accidentally by my manicure.

At least Bruce Banner had the sense to hide away where no one could find him. At least Bukowski kept himself locked in a post office for years. At least Carrie Fischer subjected her memories to ECT.

What do I have?

I have a shiny, fleeting thing, like Daisy Buchanan right before she hits Myrtle with her car. Like Holly Golightly after she applies a fresh coat of lipstick and before she throws Cat out of the taxi. Like Clementine Kruczynski with her Blue Ruin hair before she drinks all that whiskey.

I need to leave you because you don’t know how to stay.


At least, not with a girl like me, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment